Share

The neighbourhood of Mowe in Ogun State has been thrown into mourning after a family of six was discovered dead in the early hours of Friday.

The cause of death is suspected to be food poisoning after a wall gecko was allegedly found in pot of soup which the family ate for dinner.

The victims were identified as; Mr Adeleke John Samuel, a Chartered Accountant, his wife, two children and two relatives.

The sad event was uncovered when their gateman, Mr Lawal Ojo suspected unusual quietness in the house at dawn.

He subsequently alerted the neighbours who broke into the house and discovered the bodies of the victims in different rooms.

They were all in the sleeping posture, the source said, indicating that they passed away in their sleep.

According to an eyewitness, Mrs Ifenatuora Ijeoma, the poison might have been ingested in the course of the family’s dinner.

She reiterated that, on close inspection of the kitchen utensils, a dead wall gecko was discovered inside a pot of soup by one of the neighbours.

The wall gecko, a small slippery house lizard originally native to South East Asia, is now found across the world.

It had, at different times, been associated with lethal food poisoning.

According to a medical practitioner, who simply identified himself as Dr Omotosho: “Geckos are ordinarily harmless. However, the lizard carries lots of bacteria in the mouth which can cause serious harm when ingested by humans.”

The police had reportedly, waded into the matter, even as the cause of death still remained a subject of guess.

The deceased man was aged 55, the wife, Mrs Pamela Adeleke, 50 , the children roughly aged between 13 and 19 years old.


Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *