Share

The death toll following multiple blasts at a military barracks in Equatorial Guinea has risen sharply to 98, the country’s health ministry said, as the search for victims continues. Over 600 people were injured in the incident.


At least four explosions were reported to have struck a military base in the port city of Bata on Sunday, with images from the scene depicting a rubble-strewn landscape of levelled buildings.

Read Also  Obaseki threatens to lockdown Edo State if residents shun vaccination directives

In an update posted via Twitter on Monday, the country’s health ministry cited Vice-President Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mangue as saying that 98 people had been killed. The ministry also said it had prepared a response team including psychiatrists and psychologists to help victims of the blast cope with the trauma of the incident.

Read Also  Publish names of suspected looters of N6trillion NDDC funds, SERAP urges Buhari

“The damages are not only physical but also mental,” it noted.

Addressing the nation in the wake of the incident, President Teodoro Obiang said that the negligent use of dynamite at the site had caused the devastation.

Read Also  PHOTOS & VIDEO: Conferement of '2020 Zik Prize on Public Service Leadership' on the GMD/MD NNPC Ltd, Mallam Mele Kyari by the Public Policy Research & Analysis Centre (PPRAC), in a ceremony held at Eko Hotels, Lagos on Sunday, November 7.

The Ministry for National Defence said in a statement on Sunday that a number of homes near the base had been destroyed by the shock waves of the blasts, and it urged people living nearby to evacuate for the night in case of further explosions.

It also said that an investigation had already been launched “to determine the causes of this tragic and lamentable event.”


Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *